Tuesday, January 3, 2012




First Discovery of 2012





Have you ever noticed the choice of colors in a crayon box?   
 It' s amazing!
 I can never decide where to start.  
Once you pick up the first color it dictates the rest of the picture. 


 I often look to my children for color schemes and ideas.
  In choosing I wonder sometimes if they think at all.  
They are such spontaneous little creatures.  
Always doing exactly what they want, wearing what they want, eating what they want.
 I love that about kids.
They have NO PROBLEM following their gut.


  I was watching Tatum the other day pick a color out of a brand new box of crayons.  
As she put her hand in she didn't "THINK" at all. 
She stuck her hand in the box and first thing that hit her fingers was her color of choice.  


THE BIG DISCOVERY?


....KIDS DON'T THINK....THEY DO.




When I was studying Classical drama at the North Carolina School of the Arts I was told over and over that I was "a visceral actress."  I followed my emotions and what I "felt" about the character, some others may be very good at mapping out a character with actions and such, but I was always "feeling" the character rather than "thinking" her.
 What happened on stage was my gut in action.  Once I knew what she wanted all I had to do was follow my instincts and trust the way to her "objective" was waiting to be found.


When I started working with Photographs and Visual Art I realized the best results for me came when I did the same.  I started out thinking I had to "understand" to draw a picture.  I had to think about what something looked like. Not true.  I eventually realized for my process I had to draw what I see.  And that meant feeling it.  

When I start a new project I close my eyes and OPEN my mind. 
 I let a color fall into the map of my vision and I go with it.

 I was driving yesterday and saw the gray clouds coming in from the west.  I love storm clouds.  It's winter so there was a bit more gray than blue, but non the less beautiful. 
I in my minds eye instantly saw this color on a canvas.  
As I turned the corner up to my house I noticed a beautiful leaf left from fall lying in the mix of tall wheat grass.  It was a beautiful peach color.
Almost dry peach like a spice for an elegant meal in winter.
 I saw the peach color sitting on top of the gray.  I didn't know how, but together for sure.


An image in my head becomes the image on my canvas.  An image from my camera is an image from my heart.  I am a visual person.  No matter the medium of my expression.  Either it be  stage, canvas, behind a lens or the written word my instinct is the wind beneath my art.  Without it, I would be lost.

It's as if it already exists.  I just have to let my SELF take me to it.

 "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."  -Michelangelo-


Like Michelangelo I want to set my art free.  
This year I am all about it!


  









No comments:

Post a Comment